Sunday, September 7, 2014

Making Up For Monday: Quotable Quotes

It's time for Making Up For Monday!

This week's question:
What is your favorite book quote or author quote? 

I love it when an author masters the English language so well that one or two lines stick with me long term. I have quite a few quotes from authors and books that I adore, but I will try to limit my selections. 

#1: "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'."
To Kill A Mockingbird

If you want me to be honest, I could probably list about 20 lines from this book and feel like I had satisfied the requirements of the question. I love this book and felt like she hit the nail on the head with so many lines.  But, instead, I chose my favorite, which is this line said to Scout after the guilty verdict was returned. It sums up exactly how people felt about Atticus without explaining it. Brilliant, moving, and perfect.

#2: Then he pushed Miss Havisham in her chair before him, 
with one of his large hands, and put the other in his trousers-
pocket as if the pocket were full of secrets.
- Great Expectations

Charles Dickens is another who I could probably quote all day long. In this particular quote, Pip is talking about Mr. Jaggers. You are always just a bit cautious of trusting Jaggers, and this quote states that but in a far more elegant way with wonderful imagery.

#3: “That’s always seemed so ridiculous to me, 
that people want to be around someone because they’re pretty.
 It’s like picking your breakfast cereals 
based on color instead of taste.” 
- Paper Towns

John Green has a way with words that I love because he takes topics that are common knowledge, but in a way that makes you wonder why you never thought about it that way.  Considering that this book is targeted towards teenagers, I am glad he made such an important statement in such a memorable way. Its a lesson every teenager has to learn eventually, and probably quite a few adults.

#4: Hardships often prepare ordinary people 
for extraordinary destinies. 
- CS Lewis


I wish I could have CS Lewis as my personal motivational coach. He had such a profound outlook on life. He is one of the most quotable authors I can think of off the top of my head. 

#5: It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid 
than open it and remove all doubt. 
-Mark Twain

I adore Mark Twain more than most authors. Although I don't agree with everything he believed, I have deep respect for him and the way he lived his life. He was who he was and did not bend to the world's view of who he should be.  Plus, he was hilarious.  What more could a girl ask for? 

Okay, your turn!  




2 comments:

  1. I love this meme but schoolwork has stopped me fro taking part this week! Loving your choices though, my favourite book quote at the mo would have to be "Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you" from If I Stay. I feel like that so accurately describes my connection with reading!
    Hoping I'll be able to take part next week! Great Quotes, especially the C.S Lewis one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh... the joys of school. Good luck with it and join in when you have time! Thanks for playing along when you can!

      Delete